-----Original Message-----
From: dia-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:dia-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Lars Clausen
Sent: vendredi 28 septembre 2007 17:47
To: discussions about usage and development of dia
Subject: Re: Patch for Delete key behavior (for dia-0.96.1)

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 12:01 +0530, Sameer Sahasrabuddhe wrote:
On 9/27/07, Michael Ross <michael e ross gmail com> wrote:

My early experiences with computing were with CAD programs.
Pre-Windows there was AutoCad (DOS) and a number of UNIX based
systems.  Heavy users of CAD, which has a very strong mouse or
stylus use component like Dia, would quickly find that
placing the
left hand on the keyboard and the right on the mouse and using as
many left hand keystroke shortcuts as possible was the
most productive manner of operating the programs.

Hear! Hear!

Allow me to hijack this and once again root for my personal
favourite
combination: F2 and "second click" to enter text edit mode.
This has
the additional plus point that it copies a well-known key-mapping,
from Nautilus and Explorer. In terms of user interaction, I see no
difference between a file icon and a text object ... their
appearance
suggests the same interface for the related action of "editing text
visible in that icon". This also does not interfere with
selecting an
object by simply clicking on it.

I have no problem with having F2 be one way to enter text
edit mode.  My worry about "second click" is that it will be
problematic to double-click for properties without
accidentally entering text mode all the time, or vice-versa.
Hmm... Gnome HIG says that Alt-Enter should be the default
shortcut for Properties.  F2 is supposed to be Rename which
works fine in some cases, when the text is a name, but a pure
text object doesn't have a name as such.  "Enter" or "Space"
could also both reasonably be used for entering text mode,
since they don't conflict with anything else.  If "Alt-Enter"
is Properties, then "Enter" would be fairly logical for
editing.  "Enter" text and such... I think I'd rather have
that listed in the menu than F2.

To exit text edit mode, I would vote for Shift-Esc as well
as clicking
elsewhere, since Esc is strongly associated with abort. We
could even
try "Enter" as an additional shortcut since that will round off the
analogy with file renaming. It does affect the ablity to enter
multiline text, but if we choose to do that, we can use "Ctrl-Enter"
like Pidgin to start a new line.

"Enter" as a shortcut works fine for places where you don't
expect to be able to have newlines, which is not the case
here.  I'd find it an awful interruption of my work flow if
every time I think I'm just adding a line, I end up leaving
edit mode.  Not logical at all.  I'm mainly thinking of the
fact that the user will be entering and leaving text edit
mode frequently, and Shift-Esc is awkward.  I find Esc
logical for leaving a "special mode", but I'm probably not typical:)

-Lars