Re: Motivation for having a 'text color' that is invisible

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 13:56 -0400, Michael Ross wrote:
In the DAQ development system I use called LabVIEW they provide a
color they call "transparent."  It is indeed a useful color.

Even better would be a slider for color transparency and for layer
transparency.  I often wish the fill of a shape could be transparent
-- if it seems really important then I crank up Inkscape.  But that
would never be as good as having the ability native to Dia.

Arbitrary transparency takes more work in the exporters -- I'm fairly
sure the internal rendering can handling it.  It would be rocking to
have.

It is still a good idea to toggle the visibility of text in a shape.
A hidden or temporarily invisible note could also double as a
documentation field for a particular instance of a shape.

So invisible (as opposed to transparent) text would not be counted
towards diagram extents?  If that's not the point, I don't know what
there is to toggling visibility that transparency doesn't handle.

-Lars