Re: Motivation for having a 'text color' that is invisible

On 10/27/07, Lars Clausen <lars raeder dk> wrote:

So invisible (as opposed to transparent) text would not be counted
towards diagram extents?  If that's not the point, I don't know what
there is to toggling visibility that transparency doesn't handle.

Invisible, undisplayed, unrendered, transparent ... it's getting a bit
confusing here! :)

By "diagram extents", are you referring to objections that I raised in
another mail, about mysterious blank areas that will show up?

Having a toggle is a big deal ... the text, or a part of an object in
general, is "not present" at all in that instance of the object. It
never reaches the renderer(s), nor does it show up when calculating
the size of a group, or when aligning multiple objects. (I don't know
enough about Dia in terms of how rendering really works). Such a
toggle ensures that the "disabled part" is not counted in all those
operations.

Sameer.
--
Research Scholar, Department of CSE, IIT Bombay
http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sameerds/