Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

Hi Carlos, all,

Sorry if it came across as overdramatic; it's just a bit frustrating that the service isn't working as intended, and we've been stuck for almost a year on resolving it (and that it's been impacting both Matrix & GNOME as a result).  The fault of the delay lies originally on the Matrix side (we were dealing with operational issues in Apr 2019) and more recently on the GNOME side (the lack of response to my various emails pleading to finish standing up the service).

To be clear, if people were using the server we stood up at https://gnome.modular.im (which was intended to be https://chat.gnome.org, had the process been finished), then the vast majority of the Matrix<->IRC issues would be nonexistent and everyone would be much happier.

Perhaps the solution to this is for folks to just go use https://gnome.riot.im (or connect their Matrix client to the https://gnome.modular.im homeserver) for now if they want use the dedicated GNOME matrix server, and perhaps in future it can be given proper *.gnome.org branding.

thanks,

Matthew