Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

Can you explain to me what the big issue with web clients are? I keep hearing over and over again that developers don't want to use web clients, either in browser or with Electron, but I don't recall ever hearing a "why" in there.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:24 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 2:41 pm, Britt Yazel <bwyazel gnome org> wrote:
> No offense Michael, but the argument that you are making seems a
> whole lot like "we're not going to use RocketChat, or even consider
> it a legitimate option, so the rest of you can either fracture the
> community (which will be on you) or you can get on board Matrix"
>
> Unfortunately, you've done nothing to quell my anxiety of using
> Matrix, the complexity therein, or explain how it's a better
> experience than RocketChat, but rather placed an ultimatum upon me
> (and the foundation). Do you see an issue here?

Perhaps my language was too strong.

Honestly I think you should just poll the community to see whether it
wants to use Rocket.Chat or not. I'm assuming support will be pretty
low, because I don't think many devs will want to keep a web browser
window dedicated to chat where a GNOME client would otherwise work. But
if I'm wrong and people like it, then I will shut up, and you can
proceed. :)

Basically anything would be better than status quo, messages going to
nowhere....

Michael