Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 4:15 pm, Britt Yazel <bwyazel gnome org> wrote:
Attached is an image of the compact mode + dark theme. Just for the record.

The thing is, it really comes down to personal preference. I suspect we have a lot of people who like web clients, and a lot of people who just don't. With open protocols like IRC, XMPP, or Matrix, where lots of client choice exists, you can use whatever you prefer. It's no problem if you don't like any particular client because you can just use a different one.

Myself, I like to see GNOME clients: polari, dino, fractal, chatty. They look good next to our other apps, and vindicate the potential of our desktop platform. But if we're going to have a web client, at the very least do it using WebKitGTK, like Revolt does, to stick with GNOME technologies and avoid bundling Electron.

I'll also suggest: whatever we use, it'd be nice to select something with the potential to become a widely-accepted standard, like IRC used to be. Chat has become a failed disaster area of fragmented walled gardens, and when we have a choice between an emerging standard and yet another silo, I think there's tremendous value in choosing the standard.

Michael