Re: Matrix IRC bridge considered harmful

I appreciate your candor in sharing your reasons. I'd also like to make it clear that I wasn't digging for any uncomfortable sharing of information. That said, what makes an electron application (since we're avoiding web browsers here, which I understand) significantly more distracting than an IRC window? If you use the RocketChat compact theme + dark mode, is that significantly more distracting that an IRC window? That said, would a Matrix window be significantly more distracting than an IRC window as well? So is your stance here that you aren't going to move away from IRC, or that you need whatever the option is to be able to be stripped down to something as bare bones as IRC? Or is that you only can tolerate one chat app being open, and therefor whatever it is has to be universal?

If I remember correctly our conversation last month, you said you didn't want a web browser open as it provided tabs to distractions. At which point I mentioned the electron Flatpak (which contains no such tabs), but you weren't having it.

Attached is an image of the compact mode + dark theme. Just for the record.

Screenshot from 2020-02-12 16-10-52.png

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:59 PM Christian Hergert <christian hergert me> wrote:
On 2/12/20 3:32 PM, Britt Yazel wrote:
> Can you explain to me what the big issue with web clients are? I keep
> hearing over and over again that developers don't want to use web
> clients, either in browser or with Electron, but I don't recall ever
> hearing a "why" in there.

I'll repeat what I told you last month.

I don't want a browser open when I work, yet I need to collaborate with
other GNOME developers on code and platform issues. I keep Builder open,
a terminal, and IRC. That's it.

For those of our community with ADHD and similar neuro-divergence, this
can be a necessity to get things done. The only way I get through my
todo list is to reduce all possibilities for distraction.

I suspect you wont get many people telling you that though, because to
do so requires a level of emotional labor to share with the world their
medical history.

-- Christian