Re: I believe we should reconsider our sys-tray removal

Since GNOME is just badly copying Android design 😋, we can just do it properly and display the symbolic icons of applications showing notifications next to the clock.

We need to make sure the notifications are not abused like tray icons were, though. It is good we can already disable notifications per-app in the GNOME Settings. We should make the option more visible by adding a right click/long tap menu that will take us directly to the appropriate Settings page.

Also we should open issues with the Apps that abuse the notifications as, you claim, Rhythmbox does. Currently playing track should be handled by MPRIS, not notifications.

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019, 15:49 Pat Suwalski, <pat suwalski net> wrote:
On 2019-03-25 10:37 a.m., Emmanuele Bassi via desktop-devel-list wrote:
>     On a default gnome install on any modern screen, only
>     about 25% of the top bar contains any information at all. It can't be
>     "the most important real estate" and be so underutilized.
>
> It's important because it's the UI element that is *always visible* at
> all times.

So let me hide it. Everyone's happy.

>     Same reasoning
>     why it is rare to have a park in the middle of downtown.
>
> I literally have no idea what this even means.

It's not important real-estate if it is completely underutilized.

The only time empty space is important real estate is when that empty
space is more important than information that could be there. Same
applies to buildings. That was the analogy.

>     That said, notification icons are literally the most useful information
>     points for the many applications I have running in the background. So
>     they deserve prominent placement.
>
> If an application is in the background, why do you need to see an icon
> all the time?

Because I got an IM while I was away from my desk. It shows up in the
completely useless notification menu that is under the clock. Its
notification got clobbered by Rhythmbox's notification that the song
changed while I was on the can. I wonder why I never see my original
notification.

Alternative: oh hey, the Pidgin icon is flashing!

> If the application needs to notify you of any state change while it's
> hidden, it can use a notification; if you need an icon to interact with
> a background application, you can literally re-launch it from the dash
> or from the applications grid, and you'll get an application window.

Keepass: I want the icon so I can click it and it makes the correct
password available o nthe clipboard. Screen recording: I want a place on
screen to click to stop it without recording a window change. There are
a gazillion uses. Screen sharing: icon shows me that someone is
connected (this information is useless hidden in a menu). I can think of
dozens more.

> If there are no state changes and you don't need to interact with it,
> then the icon is pointless waste of space.

And yet, on my Mac, I'm not overwhelmed with icons. A balance can be struck.

Anyway, all that to say, I'm perfectly happy with KNotifier, but it's a
no-brainer that it should be core and it should be modernized for all of
the *technical* reasons mentioned in other messages. If you don't want
to see it, hide it.

--Pat