Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 1:45 PM Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org> wrote:

For making this change properly, I have some questions:
- Is there a possibility to redirect master to any other name somehow?

Oh, that is a good question. A quick search finds

 $ git symbolic-ref refs/heads/master refs/heads/mainline

If that works for non-local branches (i.e. "origin/master"), then this
would fully address my concern. As long as random
git-tutorials/stackoverflow-answers keep working, we don't end up
adding friction for newcomers and it boils down to us getting used to
a different word. Having made the switch from svn-trunk to git-master
in the past, I'm confident that we can manage that :-)

- If Git upstream documentation is not updated, can we hold an organization wide change until that happens?
- Is there some consensus on the word replacement apart of the links Daniel provided? My feeling is that we
should wait until there is a common replacement among projects outside of GNOME.

Those question seem secondary to:
 - Is there a broader initiative outside of GNOME to rename master branches?
 - If not, do we want to go on our own (possibly leading the way for others)?

- Is there a way to "push to the main branch" that doesn't involve a name such as master or mainline?

Not to my knowledge. It's possible to omit the remote name if the
local branch has a remote tracking branch, but I don't know about
anything similar for the main branch. Same for rebase, which IMHO is
more relevant (as gitlab takes care of pushes most of the time).

Also, I think we should try to come with a name we are all comfortable and use only that one.

+1.

Cheers,
Florian