Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 12:12 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
It's easier to completely remove "master" to remove mentions of
"master/slave" and to remove the non-gender neutral "master" than it
would be to do half of that. Two birds, one stone.

Haha. I see what you did there. But no, we're not talking about
removing the "non-gender neutral master" either.

Yes, there is a gender-specific word "master" which is also a homonym
of the one in "master/slave".

No, that isn't the one which is used when we say "the master copy" or
"the master branch".

Besides, we can't use "mainline" anyway, as that is a reference to
intravenous drug taking and since we can't be expected tell homonyms
apart or pass basic primary school comprehension exercises by applying
our knowledge of context to the words we see, we'll *obviously*
interpret all instances of the word "mainline" as references to
drugs... right?