Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

Hi,

IMHO an smart stance to take in this topic is to focus on the actual impact in practice that this change has, and otherwise just do it if a reasonable amount of people and outside projects think there is a valid reason to do it - we don't need to understand if the reasons are fully valid or not, because that's hard to evaluate.

In practical terms, as long as someone takes care of fixing the technological part I don't see an issue, and I understand that you need to have some project as a test, so as long as this keeps to Geary only it seems ok to me.
In terms of getting used to it, it's a matter of remembering just one more name.
For making this change properly, I have some questions:
- Is there a possibility to redirect master to any other name somehow?
- If Git upstream documentation is not updated, can we hold an organization wide change until that happens?
- Is there a way to "push to the main branch" that doesn't involve a name such as master or mainline?
- Is there some consensus on the word replacement apart of the links Daniel provided? My feeling is that we should wait until there is a common replacement among projects outside of GNOME.

Also, I think we should try to come with a name we are all comfortable and use only that one. A discourse topic or a different mail thread just for that would be helpful.

Cheers

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 13:26, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 1:04 PM Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:

> FWIW, "master copy" has quite a lot of synonyms that are used in other
> languages and can be reused here, such as "copy zero", "original
> (copy)", or in some uses "standard copy".

"Branch zero" has a nice ring to it. (I think it's too cryptic to be
actually used, but gosh does it sound cool!)