Re: Proposal: Replace all references to master/slave in GNOME modules

On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 11:58 +0200, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 11:45 +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
You also don't get to call reasoning you don't agree with "bizarre
and
illogical" without justifying it. The reason behind this possible
change was already mentioned in the original mail. The mail's hard
read, but fairly short, and clearly shows that this isn't about
twisting words.

I read the email. It said it was about removing references to the
terms
"master" and "slave".

Yes, both separately. It then mentions "social inclusiveness" and not
just slavery as the topic, and links to a set of guidelines for which
the URL makes it clear that it's not about slavery either:
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/Language/NonSexist/vuw.non-sexist-language-guidelines.txt

But then went on to advocate removing a different word which just
happens to be a homonym for one of the above. Which is why I called
it
bizarre and illogical.

Even if we accept the initial premise that history can be fixed by
whitewashing it and never speaking of it again and never even using
terms that can accidentally *remind* people of it... extending it to
homonyms makes no sense at all.

It's easier to completely remove "master" to remove mentions of
"master/slave" and to remove the non-gender neutral "master" than it
would be to do half of that. Two birds, one stone.