Re: Release team now using gnome-build-meta repository, not JHBuild

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 6:02 AM, Tristan Van Berkom <tristan vanberkom codethink co uk> wrote:
gexiv2 is listed as a system dependency, which strikes me as a bit odd
seeing as it's a requirement for some GNOME modules and it's hosted in
GNOME - I'm new to the release team and will have to figure out the
reasoning behind this.

We used to prefer to move modules from core-deps into sysdeps when possible, to reduce the number of modules that can cause build failures in JHBuild. That's not really going to be an issue anymore. I think moving gexiv2 to core-deps would be uncontroversial, if there's desire to do so, especially since it's hosted on GNOME infrastructure.

For now, the actual sysdeps we use to populate a base runtime to build
against are controlled by this list[2], and is basically generated from
packages in debian testing - until the freedesktop-sdk project evolves
and we start generating bootable VMs with a combination of that, and
GNOME build metadata, I should move that repo over to GNOME's gitlab
and re-enable the automation of generating the images it creates (I've
been doing this manually in order to avoid unnecessary rebuilds).

Tristan mentions that gexiv2 is a system dependency... that means it was never built in JHBuild before now, so it's not going to be built in BuildStream either (unless we add it to the core-deps project).

Under JHBuild, our rule was that GNOME modules can depend on a system dependency only if it's present in the latest stable releases of both Fedora and Ubuntu. Now, under BuildStream, it's much easier to add a new version of a system dependency. Once the new gexiv2 package enters Debian testing, you can simply create a merge request to add it to multistrap.conf.in, the file Tristan pointed to in his last mail, and then GNOME modules can begin to depend on it.

Alternatively, you could create a merge request or issue report to add it to the core-deps project.

Michael