Re: Release team now using gnome-build-meta repository, not JHBuild

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 3:16 AM, Jens Georg <mail jensge org> wrote:
So, following up on that and also on the libgepub thread: Which places do I have to modify if I were to switch the ABI and API version of gexiv2 (to either keep depending entities on the old stable branch or to the new branch or provide both etc) ? Only gnome-build-meta as mandatory, jhbuild as goodwill? What about continous?

Please do continue to update Continuous as needed for the time being. The future plan is to generate the Continuous manifest from gnome-build-meta, so that we don't have all this metadata specified in three different places, but replacing the manifest in gnome-sdk-images is more important to do first. (gnome-sdk-images is more lightly-maintained, and yet it's our only set of build definitions that directly affects our users.) Unfortunately, that's not likely to be ready for 3.28, so we'll need to be patient in the meantime. Hopefully later this year, we'll be able to announce that the Continuous manifest is gone. Again, thank Tristan and Codethink for this. ;)

I personally wouldn't touch JHBuild anymore unless you want to continue using JHBuild yourself and benefit from the changes you make, but it's up to you. JHBuild's developer workflow is still IMO better than what is currently provided by BuildStream, and we're used to using it for many years, so it's understandable if some community members desire to keep it working. (But release team considers it too fragile, and we really want to reduce the number of build definitions that we have to maintain.)

Michael