Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

On Fri, 2017-08-25 at 19:13 +0100, Matthew Hodgson wrote:
Correct, it's nothing like running a Bitlbee.  The typical starting
point is to use an existing hosted bridge to the protocol of your
choice that someone is running (e.g. matrix.org or disroot.org).
Obviously this means trusting that server with your account on that
network, but one can always go and run one's own (which means running
your own server & bridge somewhere - similar complexity to running an
ircd + ircservices).

Well, my primary use cases are Lync, which authenticates with my local
Kerberos TGT and thus I'd need to be running the server & bridge on my
own laptop, and internal IRC where I suppose I could live with running
a server *somewhere* in the corporate network.

But for the naïve user case, that doesn't really seem like a step
forward. Matrix as just one protocol that's supported, sure. But it
doesn't seem to fill the gap that Telepathy or libpurple do.