Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

A comment as a user. Since Empathy ceased to be maintained, there has been little concern for the communication system that is available in gnome focused to end user (gnome-polari is targeted to IRC which is mostly used by developer communities).

Matrix is great, but I feel it points to the same, so why not support GNU Ring in GNOME ... Ring is a project that aims to be a free replacement for Skype, in addition already has a good integration in gnome and it's easy to use, offering its own communication protocol it offers support for SIP.

I thought I would put it out there after some discussion to make sure it isn't a completely crazy idea.

What do people think about integrating directly with Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy?  This would mean that we can focus on  chat, video-conferencing, and anything else through Matrix.  We'd have to abandon clients like empathy (or modify).  For IRC we would use our own library or use matrix's bridge.

This way, we can push this support to an upstream that cares and is culturally compatible with us.  Matrix of course gets a boost from a major group relying on them and providing alternative clients and a superior (hopefully) user experience.

sri