Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

On Fri, 2017-08-25 at 10:21 -0500, Gary Kramlich wrote:
It's also a little hard to add the new features that we need, as things
stand. I actually ended up backporting a bunch of stuff from 3.x to the
2.x branch a while back, to support everything that Lync needed. I'm
kind of resigned to the fact that I might need to do the same, for the
protocol I'm working on now.

Dang, well let me know where I can help.

Thanks.

I think you've actually already done the most useful thing, which is to
give me commit access and tell me to go ahead and backport the missing
features to 2.x that I needed. That meant that the lack of a 3.0
release didn't actually prevent me from being able to ship those
features at all.

Obviously where I'd want to *change* an API rather than adding one,
that approach is more complicated, but we've been able to cope so far.

At some point I need to reinstate my access now that the repo has moved
to bitbucket, and then I can start submitting patches for review again.

On the whole, I quite like the idea of switching from Telepathy to
libpurple. Much more than assuming a one-protocol-to-rule-them-all
approach.

--
dwmw2