Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 infradead org> wrote:
But isn't that the *point*? We have a framework with plugins for all
manner of different protocols, instead of a mess of separate protocol-
specific clients each of which can handle only *one*.

When the choice is given to me between sticking to an abstraction that
tries but doesn’t manage to grasp the quirks of several protocols, or
switching to a protocol specific API and embrace it to make sure it is
correctly and fully supported, I pick the latter. Even if I have to do
it twice or more. I don’t think the *point* should be to support
several protocols badly.

I also don’t think we should aim at supporting all the protocols that
exist. I don’t think a single client can map to the features of all of
them.

If someone cares enough to implement support for a protocol in
Telepathy, they could probably implement support for the protocol
elsewhere too.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director