Re: Matrix as a replacement for Telepathy

On Fri, 2017-08-25 at 15:34 +0200, Alexandre Franke wrote:
On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 infradead org> wrote:
But isn't that the *point*? We have a framework with plugins for all
manner of different protocols, instead of a mess of separate protocol-
specific clients each of which can handle only *one*.

When the choice is given to me between sticking to an abstraction that
tries but doesn’t manage to grasp the quirks of several protocols, or
switching to a protocol specific API and embrace it to make sure it is
correctly and fully supported, I pick the latter. Even if I have to do
it twice or more. I don’t think the *point* should be to support
several protocols badly.

That's very true, and I don't think you're wrong to want a Matrix-
specific UI which doesn't attempt to use Telepathy at all.

I'm just nitpicking that this isn't a "replacement for Telepathy"; it's
rightly ditching Telepathy and just doing your own protocol-specific
thing.

It's slightly suboptimal for *me* because I'm working on protocol
support for Yet Another IM Protocol, as well as occasionally still
prodding at the siplcs Lync support, and really don't want to live in a
world where each protocol needs to put together its *own* GUI to
support it specifically.

Right now I'm building my toy as a Pidgin/libpurple plugin but not
because I particularly like Pidgin; I think it's fairer to say that I
just hate libpurple less than I hate everything *else*. It also has the
impedance mismatches and doesn't support some of the things I need like
persistent editable messages, read receipts, multi-way V/V calls with
indication of who's speaking at any given moment, etc... but it *could*
be added...

I also don’t think we should aim at supporting all the protocols that
exist. I don’t think a single client can map to the features of all of
them.

Just because it's been done badly/incompletely that doesn't mean it's
impossible.

If someone cares enough to implement support for a protocol in
Telepathy, they could probably implement support for the protocol
elsewhere too.

But where is "elsewhere"? If not libpurple, where *should* I be adding
support for my new toy protocol for example? If you've just taken your
ball and gone home...