Re: multiple gdm

Thanks guys for the info. Very useful to know these details.
Cheers. Steve.

On Thu, 2015-01-15 at 10:32 -0800, Giovanni Campagna wrote:

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Stephen Adler
<adler stephenadler com> wrote:
        Thanks, just to be clear, I don't want one gnome session
        running on two
        X servers. I want to run two different instances of gnome,
        each with its
        own X server. The idea would be, if all is working, when I
        boot my
        system, I'll get two gdm login screens, one for each monitor.
        I could
        then have to log in twice, perhaps under different user names.
        It may
        sound like a bad hack, but I'm just wondering if somehow I
        could
        configure gdm to work of some specified display, like :0.0
        or :0.1 or
        something like that.

:0.0 and :0.1 refer to different screens (GPUs / root windows) under
one X server, which is not supported. What I understand you want is :0
and :1, ie, two completely separate X servers. The easiest way to
obtain that is to tag the different GPUs and input devices in
different seats in udev rules - then GDM will automatically start an X
server on each seat and you'll be able to login.
Note that you must have two sets of input devices and two separate
GPUs, because each server will take full control of one.

The details for how to configure multiseat are
at http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat/

Giovanni

        On Thu, 2015-01-15 at 09:45 -0800, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
        > GNOME does not support multiple X11 screens. My
        understanding is that
        > recent versions of nvidia proprietary added XRandR as a
        feature, which
        > is what we require for multi monitor support.
        >
        > On Jan 15, 2015 6:31 AM, "Stephen Adler"
        <adler stephenadler com>