Re: [desktop-devel-list] Potential GNOME IDE

On Sun, 2014-01-05 at 16:44 +0100, Sébastien Granjoux wrote:
What is missing?

I've been dogfooding Anjuta recently and I've been relatively impressed
with its potential. I think the plugin-based system is its biggest
strength: I want to be able to use the same environment for all of my
programming, and Anjuta has good support for many languages thanks to
plugins. I have nothing against specialized text editors, but GNOME
programs are written in so many different languages that for a GNOME IDE
to be credible, it really needs to support as many as possible.

However, it's currently quite buggy. I have a notebook with over 20 bugs
that I need to file, some very annoying, one that has destroyed my work
multiple times, and all these discovered from roughly one week of use. I
would definitely not recommend it users at the present time. There are
several other UI/workflow issues as well.

But my $0.02: bugs can be fixed. Anjuta deserves very serious
consideration.

I also think it would be possible to drop the menu bar without losing
functionality, with some help from the GNOME designers.