Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

Le 15/08/2013 16:48, fr33domlover a écrit :
But assume I'm new to Gnome and I want to contribute. It's easier for me
to do it through GitHub than through Gitorious, because of the mirrors.

Sure. But if you know GNOME, you also may contribute through bugzilla by
sending patches using the GNOME repositories. This has not changed.
We're adding freedom of choice here, not removing any.

So you do encourage the use of GitHub, even if you don't intend to.

It's indirectly encouraging github over gitorious or gitlab, because one
has to come first, and that Github has more users. This doesn't mean
that gitlab mirrors nor gitorious are forbidden. GNOME has always been a
do-ocracy. The one who does the work has the final word, so I'm pretty
sure anyone wanting to help mirror on gitlab or gitorious is welcome.

Gitlab and gitorious people who strive to keep using only free software
are still able to contribute using a GNOME account, bugzilla and the
GNOME repositories. Nothing changes for them.

Please keep in mind that here only *more* choices are given to people,
not *less*. That's all about sharing.

Maybe GitHub will help more people contribute, but I don't see why it's
so important. I prefer to have 3 developers who care, than to have 5 who
don't care. If I didn't mind to use GitHub, I could as well not mind
using Windows. GitHub is proprietary, just like Windows.

Do you dismiss a Linux user that uses Skype ? Would you prefer a Windows
user that uses Firefox ? For me they are both free software users, event
if not using 100% free software. I personally prefer that people use
what they want. They should be able to decide if free software is a good
thing for them. Free software is good, but it should be praised for
being better than the competition *and* free, not just for being free.