Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM, fr33domlover <fr33domlover mailoo org> wrote:
No problems, GNOME having read-only mirrors can be useful to people.

Just make sure there's an easy way to opt out. For example, I wouldn't
want any of my code automatically uploaded to GitHub. I think every
maintainer should have the right to cancel mirroring for their module.

If GitHub was free software, decentralized, etc, then I could maybe
agree that mirroring can be activated by default for existing and new
modules. But considering the nature of GitHub, I consider it somewhat
rude to mirror a module without letting a maintainer an option to cancel
it, or make it disabled by default and allowing the maintainer to switch
it on.

Who gets the say? What happens if there's two maintainers to a project? What if you've contributed code to GNOME that's under a different repository. What happens if someone manually mirrors your repository under their own name.

It's not realistic to have an opt-out button for contributors. It's free software, and that doesn't change whether we put it on a proprietary platform or not.