Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se> wrote:
Speaking as someone who has a Gitorious account and not a GitHub one,
what will you gain by opting out? It won't stop someone from cloning
your code on GitHub. This way you atleast have a canonical tree on
GitHub where you can see what people are doing with your stuff.

I agree that people are free to take code and copy it there. This
doesn't mean that we should make it easy for them.

Actually, the fact that we have to ask to opt out is an issue in
itself. We shouldn't even have to. This should have been opt in from
the start. People (maintainers and commiters in this case) shouldn't
have to fight to get back what you have taken away from them.

Basically, I don't think that choosing to opt-out is strong enough
message even on ethical grounds.

What you're saying is basically that if someone's fight is not worth
fighting, we shouldn't let them fight it.

--
Alexandre Franke