Re: GNOME user survey 2011 (v6)

On 18/10/2011 18:15, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
>> What's stopping these deprived users from using Gnome 2.X? I don't think
>> there's enough developers interested in keeping the 2.X series alive - it
>> would be a different matter if people were smashing out the features/patches
>> for the 2.X range but as that's not happening I don't see why they don't
>> stay with what works for them?
> People upgrade distros. They upgrade HW. Would you advise people who
> love WinXP and hate Vista(ot Win7) stay with WinXP - considering that
> it has issues with new HW?
>
> Sergey

The metaphore mismatch in two points - the users of GNOME have the power
to fork it (I heard even calls to fork GNOME before 3.0) so if
sufficient number of developers decides to maintain GNOME 2 it may still
live (probably under different name - IANAL and I'm not sure about
trademark etc. details). (Whether the discontent have necessary skills
is of course different matter).

GNOME is also only a part of stack and I don't think GNOME 2 will stop
working with, say, kernel 3.6 which would include new drivers etc. the
same goes for sane/cups/mesa/... hence it will unlikely have issues with
new HW.

Regards