Re: 3.2 features: login screen

Hi!

> B. Not planned, no. This is intended to configure a handful of
> essential things, not an open-ended list of things you might want to
> set up if happen to know about them. If twitter-esque web services
> become supported by 'online accounts', that would make it possible for
> gwibber to pick up the configuration from there.

I have very mixed feelings about not allowing any customization here,
especially for web-services where we mostly talk about proprietary web
services:

a) Who decides which to include? Why would we include Google and
Facebook but not Bing or UbuntuOne*? This is one of the points Microsoft
got sued badly by the EU in the past.

* Don't take this examples to literally...

b) There might be a lot of people that take integration of some services
as part of the business. That doesn't mean we should encourage it but
even manufacturers that would want to preinstall some Linux distribution
would likely want to have some customization here.

Personally I also don't think that the network panel is very useful.
There are basically three cases to consider here:

a) Wired connection - should automatically connect with DHCP
b) Wireless connection - I think NetworkManager covers this pretty
nicely in the UI. The network menu could even be automatically shown on
first login when no network is connected.
c) Scary (static IP, Proxy, whatever) setups - we don't want to provide
an UI in the startup-wizard, do we?

Regards,
Johannes