Re: language/locale selector [was: Re: Settings downstream would reasonably want to add]

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 20:20 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 16.05.11 18:44, Ross Burton (ross burtonini com) wrote:
>

> > On 16 May 2011 18:22, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> > > conmann also does geoloc? Is there something it doesn't do? Sounds
> > > almost as crazy as systemd ;-)
> >
> > AFAIK (and I may be wrong), but that's part of its "am I really
> > online" ping to connman.net, which acts as a captive portal detection.
> >  The response packet contains a continent, or something.
>
> Oh my. Conmann phones home? This gets more and more interesting...

No, it's to check whether the internet is available. I believe
NetworkManager does something similar, so that when you're connected to
a hotel/pub Wi-Fi, all your online things don't say "Hey, I'm online,
give me web page" and they all end up being login pages.