Re: language/locale selector [was: Re: Settings downstream would reasonably want to add]

On 16 May 2011 00:09, Lennart Poettering <mztabzr 0pointer de> wrote:
> Ah, very interesting. This is good to know. Interesting place though, in
> connman.

Yeah, it is "interesting".  I discovered this because I'd floated the
idea of a tiny TimeKit daemon, mainly to deal with setting the system
timezone and emitting signals when it changes.  It's almost like we've
all got the same problem. :)

IIRC, the rationale was that connman is already doing a fair amount of
time manipulation: it has a NTP client and can also (or will, can't
recall) auto-set the timezone based on your geo-IP.  From that it's
just a matter of allowing the user to manually set the timezone.

Personally I'd hope that if a cross-desktop DBus interface was
proposed, that connman would implement it as a wrapper.

> Hmm, do you happen to know where connman stores the high-level timezone
> name? i.e. "Europe/Berlin"? We'd like to standardize some place for this
> in the systemd context, and I am currently figuring out if we can just
> adopt an existing solution.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=network/connman/connman.git;a=blob;f=src/timezone.c;h=263ee4efe619e7f59a4844477131b09fb0e2cca1;hb=HEAD#l292

It takes the contents of the zoneinfo file and writes it to
/etc/localtime.  It also reads /etc/sysconfig/clock at startup, but
doesn't appear to write that file.  I can't seen where the name is
written though.  This support is pretty new so might have some missing
pieces.  Obviously for more details the connman list is the place to
go.

Ross