Re: language/locale selector [was: Re: Settings downstream would reasonably want to add]

On Sun, 15.05.11 19:25, Martin Pitt (martin pitt ubuntu com) wrote:

> Hey Lennart,
>
> Lennart Poettering [2011-05-15 18:26 +0200]:
> > Just out of curiosity, what's the mechanism Ubuntu uses to forward
> > user locale settings to the system? i.e. what's the path to make locale
> > configuration system-wide with Ubuntu?
>
> Debian/Ubuntu store the system-wide default in /etc/default/locale. It
> is a plain "source with /bin/sh" style file like

Sure, that I know, but what I was wondering is how the unprivileged user
code that g-c-c is can make changes to this root-owned file. What is the
machanism used here? A D-Bus service? sudo hackery? (Background: I am
working on cleaning up all those little services that can change
locale/clock/timezone/hostname/... in the context of systemd)

> $ cat /etc/default/locale
> LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
> LANGUAGE="en"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8