Re: language/locale selector [was: Re: Settings downstream would reasonably want to add]

On Sat, 14.05.11 12:31, Martin Pitt (martin pitt ubuntu com) wrote:

> Hello Matthias, Dave,
>
> Matthias Clasen [2011-05-13  8:33 -0400]:
> > >  * Language Selector, which allows you to configure your language and
> > >   fallbacks ($LANGUAGE/$LC_MESSAGES), locale ($LANG), list of
> > >   installed languages (packages which provide translations,
> > >   dictionaries, OO.o help, etc.), and input method.This can probably
> > >   be integrated into the now existing GNOME 3 module.
> >
> > Language selection is in the region panel, and the plan is indeed to
> > have input method configuration integrated there as well.
> > Unfortunately, we lack a person with the necessary skills and
> > knowledge to really drive this, currently. Cooperation in this area
> > would be highly appreciated.
>
> I am not quite happy about some parts of the current Ubuntu language
> selector UI, so we want to make some changes anyway. It got quite a
> bit more complex over the years due to user demands in some regions of
> the world (like separate LC_MESSAGES and LANG setting), as well as
> integration of extra package installation (language specific word
> lists, hyphenation patterns, spell check dicts, etc.). If at least
> some of these features are desired to have in upstream c-c, I'd be
> happy to discuss the design with Dave and/or c-c maintainers (not in
> this thread though, please) and then work on an implementation, and
> then we can provide the rest of it (like packaging integration) as an
> Ubuntu patch. If we stop having a separate package for this, I'm of
> course interested in keeping the latter relatively small.

Just out of curiosity, what's the mechanism Ubuntu uses to forward
user locale settings to the system? i.e. what's the path to make locale
configuration system-wide with Ubuntu?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.