Re: On the Interaction with the design team

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
> Frederic Crozat wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

>> I'm sorry but "GNOME OS" is a very good example of how "interaction
>> between design team and GNOME community" is failing :
>> - there has been no communication with the community since William
>> presentation at latest GUADEC and the associated blog post (
>> http://blogs.gnome.org/mccann/2010/08/01/shell-yes/ )
>> - it seems people working on "GNOME OS" have a different definition of
>> what is "an OS", "a distribution", etc.., which has not been discussed
>> nor even published somewhere publicly (and if you don't even agree on
>> definitions, cooperation is even more difficult).
>
> You are missing my point - GNOME OS is *not* a design initiative. There
> is some work going on under the design banner, but GNOME OS did not
> originate in GNOME design. Most of the design team don't know any more
> about GNOME OS than you do (or if they do, they're not telling me ;) ).
>
> I agree that it would be good to have more communications about GNOME
> OS, but that isn't the responsibility of the design team. You'll need to
> complain to someone else about this one, I'm afraid.

My point is that GNOME OS is clearly driven by design (team), at least
for people like me who are trying to get a overview of what is going
on there.. If it isn't designed driven (which seems to contradict our
new moto "we design and select features first"), then it is even more
problematic.

>> As somebody who has been active for years as a GNOME "packager", it is
>> becoming impossible to monitor what design changes are coming and
>> bring feedback based on my experience from interacting with users.
>
> You'll need to be more specific. You want to be able to participate in
> design work? How did you do this monitoring and feedback previously?

I want to be able to give feedback at any level (including design). In
the past, monitoring mailing lists (including usability,
desktop-devel) and planet gnome was enough.

--
Frederic Crozat