Re: On the Interaction with the design team

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> Here are two reasons I could see for people wanting their IRC
> conversations to be unlogged, along with my solution:
>
> * Sharing sensitive information.
> - Don't do that on IRC. Use a private chat if you have to.
>  But if it's really sensitive, you should know that even
>  a private IRC chat is totally unsecure.
>
> * Being a total asshat.
> - Stop being a total asshat.

A brainstorming session that is logged and distributed and archived is
likely to be more constrained and have a smaller scope of ideas than
one that is not; this is about reducing the barrier of entry and
potential embarassment. Some people are comfortable with doing any
discussion on the record or approach any topic as if they were on the
record in a panel at a conference; others with valuable opinions might
be more shy.

Another reason not to log _all_ the time, is the amount of
information, as well as potential noise/social banter that is less
likely to occur while logging is enabled. This would likely make it
more feasible to skim these daily logs than both high traffic mailing
lists full of noise/opinions; as well as more feasible than reading
the full backlog of high volume irc channels.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ ;                           http://ffii.org/