Re: On the Interaction with the design team

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/02/11 02:02, Robert Ancell wrote:
>>
>> A huge +1 on this.  IRC is much more productive, but it's crucial that
>> it's logged for people who can't attend.  (I'm always hitting this
>> problem in GNOME trying to work out what happened while I was sleeping
>> in Australia).
>> This works really well in Ubuntu where everything is automatically
>> logged: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/
>
> Out of interest, how long after an IRC conversation that concerns you do you
> typically find out about it? Do you read the entire IRC log of the relevant
> channels every morning?
>
> How often do you actually go looking in the logs?
>
> I really don't think IRC logs are a good way of communicating anything. It's
> better than unlogged, but really only marginally.

this is an excellent point, you've just made me reconsider my thoughts
on IRC logging.

One thing that does work is the gtk+ team meeting minutes. It would be
great if once an important discussion has occured in #gnome-design,
someone could provide 'digests' of these to a mailing list. Or, if the
discussions are spread out over a longer time period, a two-line
summary could be posted to a wiki when something important is decided.

I recognise that's a non-trivial amount of extra work.

Sam