Re: On the Interaction with the design team

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Sam Thursfield <ssssam gmail com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
>> On 06/02/11 02:02, Robert Ancell wrote:
>>>
>>> A huge +1 on this.  IRC is much more productive, but it's crucial that
>>> it's logged for people who can't attend.  (I'm always hitting this
>> I really don't think IRC logs are a good way of communicating anything. It's
>> better than unlogged, but really only marginally.
>
> this is an excellent point, you've just made me reconsider my thoughts
> on IRC logging.

Logging all communication of spontaneous conversation and interactions
in IRC has the potential of destroying the culture and freedom to make
and share mistakes that is essential when collaboratively designing.
One possible idea is to have a bot log at specific pre-determined
intervals and announce that logging. For instance conversations
between 17:00 and 18:00 UTC are automatically logged, and weekly or
bi-weekly meetings could be made to coincide with this logging.

Doing it in this manner would provide both on-record periods that can
be reviewed and used for bringing up issues,. as well as off-record
time for freer brainstorming and other more freeform activities. With
such times stated in topic/on a website with the logs, these times
could be the core times one expects many of the active people to be
present as well as for more peripheral people to bring up issues.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/ ;                           http://ffii.org/