Re: gnome2 and gnome3: strategy of coexisting

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 22:37 +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> Thanks for the answer. So, does that mean we directly or indirectly
> recommend to distromakers NOT to allow users to choose between gnome2
> ("real", not "(panel + nautilus)/gnome3") and gnome3 sessions? Does
> that mean we recommend not to bother creating two sets of packages? Or
> we are just neutral and do not care (and we do not help)?

I think it was pretty clear from the start that we were going to carry,
for a little while at least, 2 experiences. There will be the GNOME 3
experience, with the new gnome-shell, control-center, and changes to
core desktop, and there will be a "classic" experience, which would use
the same core components, but with the panel and metacity instead of the
shell.

In the long run, the classic view will go, but the main point is that
this experience, while it exists, will be based on the same technology
as the rest of GNOME 3.

So there shouldn't be any need to ship a GNOME 2.x panel, nautilus, or
whatever else core component. The applications should carry on working
if the distributors ship with the older versions of the libraries.