gnome2 and gnome3: strategy of coexisting

Hi folks

I am not sure if I missed that topic (apologies if I did).

Is there a strategy regarding co-existing of gnome2 and gnome3 on the
same system? Obviously there is going to be some transitional period,
when people would play with two generations. Distributions might want
to have two sets of packages (two entries in gdm sessions list). So,
is gnome going to address that - or just leave it to distromakers? Of
course, we know distromakers are creative, they'll go for something
like /opt/gnome3 and /opt/gnome2, tweaking PATH etc etc - but every
distro is going to do that differently. Are we happy about that - or
perhaps we could make their life easier by introducing some
recommendations, conventions? Resolving that issue could also help
developers to live in stable gnome2 while doing things for gnome3.

I will narrow my question a bit. Some components, like gnome-session,
gnome-settings-daemon etc for a moment are using same names as they
did in gnome2. Would it make sense resolve that collision by using
different names (most simple way - adding "3" add the end)? I am not
concerned about creating a bad practice here: gnome2 was evolving for
decade, and I hope gnome3 would be around for another decade (and who
knows - will gnome4 ever exist?;).

What do you think? Does my question make any sense at least?

Thanks,

Sergey