Re: gnome2 and gnome3: strategy of coexisting

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 22:16 +0100, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I am not sure if I missed that topic (apologies if I did).
>
> Is there a strategy regarding co-existing of gnome2 and gnome3 on the
> same system?

Short answer is no, and we won't be doing it.

> I will narrow my question a bit. Some components, like gnome-session,
> gnome-settings-daemon etc for a moment are using same names as they
> did in gnome2. Would it make sense resolve that collision by using
> different names (most simple way - adding "3" add the end)? I am not
> concerned about creating a bad practice here: gnome2 was evolving for
> decade, and I hope gnome3 would be around for another decade (and who
> knows - will gnome4 ever exist?;).
>
> What do you think? Does my question make any sense at least?

When people talk about "Classic GNOME" wrt GNOME 3, they mean the ported
to GTK+ 3.x, updated to GSettings, parts of the GNOME 2.x experience.

There are no plans to make gnome-settings-daemon, bits of the
control-center, and whatever else core components of the desktop
parallel installable.

The libraries will be parallel installable so you can run your
not-ported-yet applications, but core parts of the desktop won't be one
of them.

Cheers