Re: DDL proposals (was: Appearance properties)

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 14:05 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> Still its seems to have caught a lot of people by surprise. All the
> people here that are not so much in favour of this change, seems to only
> have heard of it *after* the decission has been made. Its totally
> obvious that people in charge don't want to change it back. We should
> learn form this incident and make this more public. Write a proposal to
> DDL and not just inform about a decission. Thats all.

Offcourse, DDL has historically been proven to be a quick-and-easy
decision making tool, never leading into way too lengthy e-mail threads.

Like they say: it's better to ask for forgiving than it is to ask for
permission. Or in this case: better to get things done than to risk
hundreds of mails which only lead to an impasse.

Atleast now there's a move made and there's always a possibility to
discuss/revert/meet in the middle.

While doing things in secret isn't great, doing a decision process via
DDL will only lead to pain and stagnation. Getting a small team of
trusted experts together (like e.g. the marketing team is doing right
now at our hackfest) will be far more productive than to involve
everyone all the time (you will always find someone that has it's pet
peeve touched).

   Ruben