Re: Appearance properties

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 19:03 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:

> > It was posted to d-d-l, and Andreas blogged about it on Planet. I'm not
> > sure what else we can do.
>
> Andreas blogged about it after the changes, on July 24, as "GNOME Art
> team" (which sound strange, I would expect this kind of change to be
> discussed and announced by usability team)).

you, and others on this thread, make it look like everything was decided
in a vacuum. I can't discern how much of this is intentional (and thus
made by people actively trying to poison GNOME as a community), but it's
there and it's mightily *pissing me off*.

both the change of the default schema value and the removal of the
Interface tab in the Appearance control center applet weren't decisions
made in a vacuum.

the bugs were discussed in a public venue (with a slightly better
signal-to-noise ratio than d-d-l, if this thread should demonstrate the
SNR of d-d-l); the usability team was involved in the discussion; the
art team was involved in the discussion; the release team was involved
in the discussion; the maintainers of all interested modules were
involved in the discussion; the documentation team was notified (and
involved).

it was announced on PGO, the most public venue we have, by one of the
parts involved.

short of going door to door to every GNOME user, tell me: what should
have been done? or maybe was just a case of sending a personal email to
every packager, distro developer and maintainer of GNOME projects? and
how much time should have been allotted for a reply? more or less than
the 4 months that passed between the discussion and the 2.28 release?

GNOME, like any other community effort, is made by those who show up.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.