Re: Appearance properties

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 10:18 +0100, Xavier Claessens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In GNOME 2.28 some default settings changed for the desktop:
> 1) In toolbar, text is next to icon instead of below.
> 2) Icons got removed from menus.
> 3) Icons got removed from action buttons in dialogs.
>
> 1 and 2 were still configurable from gnome-appearance-properties, 3 was
> not possible to change (Bug #595341).
>
> And now the whole interface tab was dropped. Making 1, 2 and 3 not
> configurable anymore (Bug #592756).
>
> Am I the only one to think something really insane is happening? It
> seems all those decisions are taken by a few developers that like
> that... This impact the whole desktop and is very visible to all users,
> so I think the discussion should be wider. That's why I'm posting here.
>
> So if you agree/disagree with those changes, please tell your opinion! I
> would like to know if I'm the only one to be worried.

While I generally trust designers in their judgement and I agree that
there was an icon overload, I now often feel a lack of icons. My menu
usage has slowed down because I now have to read everything instead of
being able to rely on icons.

Having a ton of icons is certainly not good, but is there anything that
shows that having none at all is better?

  Ruben