Re: Tabbed windows in Mutter/Metacity

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 12:33 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 7 Jul 2009, at 14:18, Sam H wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I would like to implement support for tabbed windows in Mutter, and
> > was hoping for some helpful pointers. I envision tabbed windows
> > working essentially the same way that tabs work in Google Chrome.
> > However, being part of the window-manager, every application would
> > make use of tabs without having to re-invent them specifically for
> > that application. It has always struck me that tabs were something
> > that belonged into the window manager, not in browsers, terminals,
> > editors, etc.
> >
> > There was a discussion a while back on the gnome developers list that
> > expected gnome's window manager to have tabbed windows in the future.
> > I believe that with the advent of compositing in Mutter/Metacity, now
> > is a good time to finally make this happen.
>
> I'd love to see us at least investigate this possibility, even if we
> just get to the mockup stage and decide it's going to be too clunky to
> continue.
>
> I have no idea right now how it would look, or how it would integrate
> with gnome-shell, but I'd be happy to help out on the usability side
> of things however I can.
>
> Cheeri,
> Calum.

Calum - agreed. I'd also be happy to help.

You would need to figure out how this would work in relation to the
window management features of GNOME Shell to do a proper job of this. I
know that some of the people involved with that project have some ideas
about tabbed interfaces. You might want to get on the GNOME Shell IRC
channel and/or mailing list to talk it through with them.

Allan
--
aday on irc.gnome.org