Re: Tabbed windows in Mutter/Metacity

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 00:29 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Op dinsdag 07-07-2009 om 09:18 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Sam H:
>
> > I would like to implement support for tabbed windows in Mutter, and
> > was hoping for some helpful pointers. I envision tabbed windows
> > working essentially the same way that tabs work in Google Chrome.
> > However, being part of the window-manager, every application would
> > make use of tabs without having to re-invent them specifically for
> > that application. It has always struck me that tabs were something
> > that belonged into the window manager, not in browsers, terminals,
> > editors, etc.
>
> If you can pull this off, you will be my personal hero!
>
> (I would advise you to look at the current open bugs against
> GtkNotebook, though, to get an idea of what kind of functionality is
> currently missing and what UI dilemma's you will be facing.)

Information on current implementations of tabs in GNOME can be found
here:

http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityProject/Whiteboard/TabImplementation

A list of bugs relating to tabs (particularly UI issues) can be found
here:

http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityProject/Whiteboard/TabImplementation/TabBugs

Hope that's of help.

Allan