Re: Tabbed windows in Mutter/Metacity

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 12:39 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 00:29 +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> > Op dinsdag 07-07-2009 om 09:18 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Sam H:
> >
> > > I would like to implement support for tabbed windows in Mutter, and
> > > was hoping for some helpful pointers. I envision tabbed windows
> > > working essentially the same way that tabs work in Google Chrome.
> > > However, being part of the window-manager, every application would
> > > make use of tabs without having to re-invent them specifically for
> > > that application. It has always struck me that tabs were something
> > > that belonged into the window manager, not in browsers, terminals,
> > > editors, etc.
> >
> > If you can pull this off, you will be my personal hero!
> >
> > (I would advise you to look at the current open bugs against
> > GtkNotebook, though, to get an idea of what kind of functionality is
> > currently missing and what UI dilemma's you will be facing.)
>
> Information on current implementations of tabs in GNOME can be found
> here:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityProject/Whiteboard/TabImplementation
>
> A list of bugs relating to tabs (particularly UI issues) can be found
> here:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityProject/Whiteboard/TabImplementation/TabBugs

Attached is a very early sketch of an idea I've been thinking about,
pulling influences from various obvious and some not so obvious places.

Tabs definitely make sense in the WM from this point of view, also
having the WM matching and combining separate application windows into
tabs without the application developer having to think about it would be
awesome!

I hope the diagram is self explanatory, there's a bunch of other ideas
which mesh together with this, but I only started the sketches last
weekend.

BR,