Re: Tabbed windows in Mutter/Metacity

On 7 Jul 2009, at 14:18, Sam H wrote:

Hey all,

I would like to implement support for tabbed windows in Mutter, and
was hoping for some helpful pointers. I envision tabbed windows
working essentially the same way that tabs work in Google Chrome.
However, being part of the window-manager, every application would
make use of tabs without having to re-invent them specifically for
that application. It has always struck me that tabs were something
that belonged into the window manager, not in browsers, terminals,
editors, etc.

There was a discussion a while back on the gnome developers list that
expected gnome's window manager to have tabbed windows in the future.
I believe that with the advent of compositing in Mutter/Metacity, now
is a good time to finally make this happen.

I'd love to see us at least investigate this possibility, even if we just get to the mockup stage and decide it's going to be too clunky to continue.

I have no idea right now how it would look, or how it would integrate with gnome-shell, but I'd be happy to help out on the usability side of things however I can.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team