Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 12:09 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> On 1/11/09, Paolo Borelli <pborelli katamail com> wrote:
> >
> >  Apart from the usual philosophical discussions about what should or
> >  should not go in the notification area, using a notification icon in
> >  this case is especially annoying (at least for me) since it means I
> >  cannot place the volume control in the top right corner where it is fast
> >  and easy to reach.
> >

> Hmmm, I agree with you. Also what if I have one applet controlling the
> PCM volume and another the Mic volume? (which is possible). How do I
> get that same functionality?

You should have tried it instead of poking in the dark. It even compiles
with a not so cutting edge system.

The answer to your question is that a microphone icon will show up in
the notification area when an application uses it, and only for that
microphone. So you don't need 2 applets to change the volume for your
webcam's microphone and the system microphone separately.

> Although I'm more worried about Paolo's comment, that's why I still
> have a weather applet and not use the clock with the 'show weather'
> option. :-P.

Notification area "applets" suck, but so do panel applets, which is why
there's work on-going to fix that (eg. gnome-shell).

Cheers