Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 13:57 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le lundi 12 janvier 2009, à 10:54 +0100, Frederic Crozat a écrit :

> > > I'd just like to mention that if gnome-user-share was accepted, it
> > > wouldn't get the treatment (eg. the integration of the sharing
> > > preferences with vino) that it should have had because the release team
> > > took too long to make up their minds.
>
> I'm wondering why you didn't raise this issue before: the schedule is
> public, and I'm sure we could have thought about this in some ways --
> either trying to come to a decision earlier, or making some exceptions
> to the freeze for the relevant modules, or...

I mentioned it to a release team member, and I was told I should have an
answer before Christmas. It didn't happen.

> > Ahem, there was nothing preventing you to do the integration work before
> > acceptance. The only constraint would be to not hard requires
> > gnome-user-share from vino.
> >
> > Deadline has always been the same for new modules decision.
> >
> > > The process seems to allow no grounds for improvement in between the
> > > acceptance and the final release (already in string freeze, too close to
> > > UI freeze and feature freeze).
> >
> > I beg to differ.
>
> Well, Bastien certainly has a point for big changes that take time to
> stabilize. I'm unsure how big the current case is, though.
>
> Bastien, do you already have a plan in mind? Maybe even some prototype
> code/UI?

For the UI, it's pretty much "in my head". Shouldn't be too complicated
to merge though. As for the code, where the new preferences UI should
live is a bit of a problem. I'm not sure I'd want vino to rely on
gnome-user-share, or vice-versa. Maybe it would need to be in a more
neutral place like the gnome-control-center to avoid problems.

Cheers