Re: GNOME 2.26 Showstopper Review

[Note: cutting down To/Cc, I only left lists/teams)

2009-02-24 klockan 22:47 skrev Cosimo Cecchi:
> On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 22:27 +0100, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> > - If a deprecated library is still shipped
> >   - then the language bindings for that deprecated library should also be shipped.
> > - Else, if the deprecated library will not be shipped
> >   - then the language bindings should not be shipped either.
> > Or am I missing something?
> Yeah, though I'd say, if no clients of the binding among the GNOME
> package use the binding anymore (for instance, if no app uses the python
> GnomePrint binding because all the remaining clients use the C API),
> remove the support for the library from the binding as early as possible
> to avoid blocking on bindings later.
> Is this too unfair?

There is no way to find out who is actually using the Python (or whatever
language) bindings for a given library. Some may have custom applications
around, and just dropping support while the underlying library is not
officially dropped sends out the wrong signal I think: at the very least it
is unfriendly, if not plain unacceptable.

    — Wouter