Re: GDM version used for GNOME 2.24?

Kjartan/Willie:

fr., 19.09.2008 kl. 00.34 +0200, skrev Vincent Untz:
Le mercredi 17 septembre 2008, à 17:23 -0400, Willie Walker a écrit :
Well...hmm...if I read the answers correctly, I think what I'm hearing is that there are a lot of great ideas, but they aren't done yet. If this is the case, then I think this sounds like a regression.
I see nobody jumping in to say it's not a regression. So, we're going
with GDM 2.20, I guess... Is there any objection?

I see people saying it's a regression, but what does it mean in
practise? Is a11y busted? Is it a minor inconvenience affecting only
login? Can someone please post a list of pros and cons for this specific
issue wrt 2.22 vs 2.24?

I'm not sure this is a really important regression.  You can configure
the new GDM to always launch various AT programs as needed.  The main
lost feature is that users cannot launch AT programs on demand.  This
feature is mostly useful in multi-user terminal situations (e.g.
terminal servers), which aren't supported in the new GDM anyway.  This
feature is also useful in situations where multiple users may share
the same computer, but some users don't want AT programs to launch
and others do.

The old GDM 2.20 doesn't turn on a11y by default anyway, so users
with a11y needs need to configure GDM before using it.  So the new
GDM isn't much worse.

I don't think this particular issue should be a blocker.  The more
serious issue is that the new GDM doesn't support managing multiple
displays.  But it seems the release team is agreeable to accepting
this as a regression.  At any rate, I'll leave this up to the
release team to decide if the new GDM is ready or not.

Brian