Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 10:37 +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
> Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > So you are basically saying "I'm -1 because of relicensing problems
> > that I'm causing myself?"
>
> Yes, effectively.
>
> As for "relicensing problems that I'm causing myself", I am FULLY at
> liberty to do this. It is/was my free time, my decision to use this
> license and my decision to maintain this license for *my contributions*.
> It is not ultimately down to just me either, I did not write this
> project completely on my own remember.
>
> I am merely pointing out where licensing is currently incorrectly stated
> (which others asked for in this thread) and also that the problem is not
> JUST about relicensing libempathy-gtk, but also libempathy.
>
> > Please point the rest of us to the
> > discussion where Imendio/Gossip staff gives their reasons against
> > LGPL.
>
> Google is your friend :)
>
> This was partly discussed on IRC with Xavier IIRC and also covered here:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2007-September/msg00554.html

Still I see no actual reasons for Imendio not wanting to relicense its
parts of Empathy to LGPL.

There are several sensible reasons that you _might_ have for this. But
you haven't even hinted at them. Instead you've been rude and abrupt,
repeatedly. This gives the impression that Imendio has some personal
disagreement with Empathy's maintainer and finds it more important to
make his life difficult than to advance the GNOME platform. And this
disagreement appears to be based on some minor procedural disagreement
over who should have done what when. It looks like Imendio is being
petty.

If this continues then we need to identify the relevant code and
reimplement it, with all the frustration that would cause.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com