Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.24

Ok so I summarize so far here are objections:

1) libmissioncontrol is LGPLv2-only
That's a problem and it won't re relicenced. However it will be droped at some point and replaced by a dbus API that we'll access via telepathy-glib which is LGPLv2+. This is only a problem if GNOME wants to move to GPLv3 and it won't happen soon, I'm pretty sure empathy won't use libmissioncontrol sooner.

2) libempathy and libempathy-gtk are GPL
This is only a problem if we want them in the plateform. Currently it's proposed for the desktop so it's not a problem yet. It will be a problem when we want to move them in the plateform. If I see copyrights in GPL headers of all Empathy files I see Imendio+Collabora+some personal that are ok to relicence. We have to contact all other "little" contributors but I think those are not a real obstacle if we ask on gossip's mailing list + grap emails in the changelog. The problem here is mostly imendio who owns most of libempathy-gtk.

3) API documentation is empty.
Yes that's a real problem that needs to be fixed and it will take time. It was an objection last time and it didn't improve. I would appreciate help here even if I know I'm the best one to write doc of the API I wrote...

4) various user problems for missing feature X, Y
I think this is a minor issue, features can be added later. GNOME doesn't have an IM client so missing features in Empathy are not regressions.

5) Overall stability
That got lot of improvements since last time and is the major point we should focus to accept or reject Empathy. I think most of bugs are easy to fix and only need more help from the community to report bugs and propose patches. This is different from point 4 even if both are reported using bugzilla.

Did I forgot something?
Xavier Claessens.